The deadline for submitting proposals to participate in the KALEKA Scratch section of the 34th edition of KALEKA. Lekeitio International Street Theater Festival’ is open from 20th October to 10th December 2023
The 34th edition of KALEKA will be held on july 2024.
What is KALEKA Scratch?
KALEKA Scratch is a platform available to the contemporary creation sector to test and develop new ideas / works within a framework of reciprocity between the public, the audience or participants.
Since the reception aesthetics, the public has ceased to be a passive element of the creative process, to become an active element of it. KALEKA wants to go beyond the public as an active recipient of a creative process, and for this KALEKA places creators and recipients in a relational situation of mutual creative exchange. This relational situation of creation puts in contact, horizontally, two subjectivities, the subjectivity of authorship and the subjectivity of reception.
KALEKA Scratch invites audiences to experience projects in development and participate in this feedback.
KALEKA Scratch call is open to companies, artists, groups, professional groups and / or any other type of authorship that uses the public space or spaces of singular character, as a suitable medium for showing creation works in development. KALEKA Scratch will only select those proposals, of any discipline, that are in the process of development. Given the nature of the festival, priority is given to those proposals more or less similar to the category “street arts”. Likewise, given that the proposals will have to be presented in the spaces proposed by KALEKA, proposals will be prioritized that, without strictly identifying themselves with the category “street arts”, have the public space as the way of development and public presentation.
The selected works will be programmed during the days of the festival. In the last edition, and inaugural edition of this section, 6 works from different areas of creation and formats were selected: audio-walk, circus, itinerant shows, dance and micro theater pieces.
KALEKA Scratch program is proposed as a support platform for works in progress. It only offers 200 euros of remuneration as subsistence allowances for participation.
KALEKA Scratch offers:
- allocated performing space
- changing room
- basic technical requirements (if necessary)
- assistance in assembly, sample and disassembly
- Documentation (photography and video) of the shows
- diffusion of the works in KALEKA’s communication platforms
- one night’s accommodation (if necessary)
- 200 euros of diet
The festival of Lekeitio is formulated as an event of contemporary creation in its multiple expressions and disciplines. Therefore, the selection criteria focus on aspects such as:
- Degree of adaptation to the framework proposed by KALEKA.
- Degree of adaptation of the proposals and their development to the social and geographical context of Lekeitio.
- As KALEKA does not adhere to any specific discipline or format, proposals will be subject to priorities such as:
- The orientation of the proposals to diverse and intergenerational audiences.
- The novelty of the proposal.
- New forms of interaction and participation.
- Use of material and non-material resources of the local context.
- Degree of adaptation to the spatial and technical conditions provided by the festival for the public presentation of the proposal.
Submission of proposals and resolution
KALEKA will accept submission of proposals exclusively through the online form. Proposals sent by mail or any other means that is not the online form will not be considered.
After the submission, a confirmation note will be sent.
The selection process will be carried out in january 2024
The result of your submission will be notified by mail to each applicant proposal.
* If the proposal is selected, the images provided in the application could be used for the proposal’s or festival’s informative and promotional purposes.